Sunday, March 15, 2009

My visit with Mammaw B...

Without any apologies (which is very hard for me) I wanted to "reactivate" our family blog. Life gets too busy doesn't it?

I read quite a few blogs and though some are amusing and entertaining, some are informative and even insightful. And with e-mails and facebook we all have lots of opportunities to be in touch. But my thought is to pick this project back up and try to do right by it. I have to admit it seems harder to get family news to put on the blog, but I have decided that if I can share how Mammaw B is doing and any news from a visit with her I will have done a good thing... and in the meantime I can take my liberty to write about whatever may come to mind.

Today on my way back from Marianna Mammaw B kept coming to my mind. I stopped by her house to find her home alone. As you know her eyesight is very bad now so I announced who I was as I came in. A big smile came across her face as she greeted me and reached for a hug. Sometimes everything has a way of fading away and you just want to live in the moment. That's what I wanted today. Just to be with Mammaw for a bit. She told me that Jackie had gone to Rob's for a birthday celebration for Joseph who turned 21 this week. We talked about Aunt Della and the healing process she is going through since coming home from the hospital. She told me how proud she is of Uncle David and Aunt Geneva for stepping in and helping her. Uncle David and Duwane had to do some building and repairs at her house to help her get around with her wheelchair and walker.

Mammaw talked about Billy and how happy she was that my mom heard from him. For those who may not know, we found out that Billy, who now lives in Indiana, was in the hospital, but is now doing better and has now gone home. She asked me about Amanda and the mission trip she is going on with Jamey and Sheri to NYC. She talked about Meaghan's baby Nathan, telling me what a cute baby he was and what a good mother Meaghan is. We talked about Joy and Wesley and Patrick.

I've shared this with you for a couple of reasons: first of all to let you know how sharp she is. She doesn't miss a trick. And secondly to assure each of you that you are on her mind and in her prayers. Never think for a moment that you have escaped her thoughts.

After a bit my mom came by before heading to church and Jackie came in. But before they came in Mammaw shared some thoughts with me. Merely thoughts to her, but great words of wisdom to me. During the course of our visit at one point she got very thoughtful and she said, "You know, Sandra, life is too short.(This coming from a woman who is now 98 years plus a few months) We need to love the people in our lives. Sometimes things happen in life that cause problems, and bring us heartache. We don't always understand why things happen, but we can't let those things eat us up. We need to work things out and forgive one another and move on with life."

What more needs to be said. I am so blessed to still have my grandmother in my life. I treasure my time with her and hope somehow that in His great mercy, God has placed some of her in me.

Please take a moment to post a comment just to let me know you have checked in on the blog. I would still love to share news from you and your branch of the family if you want to send an e-mail with your family happenings.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Great post, Sandra! I love that you got to pop in and have her all to yourself for a bit!

Anonymous said...

Mammaw's quote made me tear up. I need to be reminded about life being too short, and this did the trick!

Unknown said...

Okay, so she mentioned that I was a good mother....That's all that matters! LOL! Just kidding! I love Mamaw B and I love getting updates on this blog!

Anonymous said...

Mammaw B and the word amazing go hand in hand. Thank you Sandra for keeping us all updated.

Amanda said...

Meaghan you are too much girl!!!
When do I get to see that little man???

Anonymous said...

It was so great knowing that Mammaw B is doing so good. The thought that life is so short does say alot. When I was going thru counseling with my minister Daniel, after the death of Joseph, He once told me, that if you place your life line on line within all time, it is actually a very small line in the scope of all time. I alway think about Mammaw, when I think about this idea, because she has lived such a long and good life. I only hope that I can be half the person she has been to all her children, grand children and so on.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Sandra. Words of wisdom from a very wise woman who loves all of her family and shows it over and over. We were blessed to have our grandkids for a few days this week while they were on spring break. I had already realized how short life is, after spending just a little time with them. I can't believe how much they are growing up and maturing. It just makes me want to spend even more time with them and capture as many moments into my memory as possible. I love all of my family very much and being away from part of them is not easy. We all need to remember how blessed we are and cherish every moment with family and our children. I wonder what kind of legacy I will leave behind for my family to remember me by. I hope it's at least half as good as Mammaw B's!

Anonymous said...

That quote from greatmammaw was great i like Joy got a teared up. It comes at a good time for me i needed to hear that and what a great person to hear it from.